The 2018 Willow Wheelers Easter trip takes us to Portugal. We will update details of the trip on this page from time to time.
Outbound Flight Details: Departing Dublin Airport on Sunday 25 March (remember clock change!):
Group 1 (mainly Willow 6th Form & 1st Year groups) depart Dublin on Aer Lingus flight EI 490 at 7:40am, arrive Faro at 10:45am. This group will be able to enjoy a cycle on the day of arrival.
Group 2 (Blackrock College students & everyone else) depart Dublin on Aer Lingus flight EI 498 at 5:20pm, arrive Faro at 8:25pm.
You will need to be at the airport at least 2 hours ahead of departure. You will be advised of your group, flight times reconfirmed and ticket details closer to the departure date. These flights are booked for hand luggage only.
Coach transfer from Faro Airport to the hotel has been arranged.
Return Flight Details: Departing Faro Airport on Saturday 31 March:
Everyone departs Faro on Aer Lingus flight EI 499 at 9:10pm, arrive Dublin at 12:05am.
The bikes & luggage for Group 1 will be loaded in the morning whilst Group 2 go for a cycle. All remaining bikes & luggage must be loaded in the afternoon of 31 March in order for the lorry to depart for Ireland.
Loading the bikes: Your bikes and luggage (soft luggage bags only) will be loaded in Willow Park School grounds on Sunday 18 March. Bikes will be loaded at 10am for 6th Formers & 1st Year, and 11.00am for all others.
Hotel: We will be staying at the Tivoli Marina Portimão Algarve Hotel, in the coastal town of Portimão.
Planning your trip:
- Everyone travelling must be paid-up members of the Willow Wheelers and of Cycling Ireland. See our membership page for further details.
- Member should ensure that they carry a valid passport and a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (previously called E111) on the trip.
- The trip cost is €870, plus a supplement of €180 for those who have already booked a single room. The balancing payment (less deposit paid of €300) by cheque to “Willow Wheelers – Trip Account” is due now and should be delivered to the front office of either Willow Park School or Blackrock College, for the attention of Christy McDaid. Members who have not previously been on a European trip or who have renewed their passport should include a copy of your passport with payment.
- A copy of the Neighbourhood Watch Garda Bike Details Form should be completed and given to John Beatty when the bikes are loaded.
- When packing, we encourage you to err on the side of cycling gear rather than other gear.
- Some useful preparation tips and offers from The Bike Rack here
Further details will be provided, so please revisit this page from time to time!
Possible Route Suggestions:
Sagres – 110km over 819m:
- Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17502560
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1426188501
Foia Marmente Lakes – 94km over 1,402m:
- Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17503014
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1426319096
Foia Monchique – 74km over 1,144m:
- Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17503157
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1426320461
Legends 1 – 153km over 1,254m:
- Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17555176
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1436791935
Carvoeiro short run – 35km over 460m
- Ride with GPS https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26990395 (can export as GPX or TCX)
Autódromo Internacional Algarve – 63km over 540m
- Ride with GPS https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26984497
Silves – 43km over 570m
- Ride with GPS https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26990398