On the Sunday of the May bank holiday each year the Willow Wheelers organise a 100 Mile Charity Cycle, the proceeds of which are for the Willow Wheelers’ charitable causes. All funds raised go directly to the projects supported by the Willow Wheelers.
This cycle is a great fun, sociable event that is thoroughly enjoyed by all participants!
The event is co-ordinated by the Committee with the assistance of many former and current Club members, for which we are very grateful. Organizers check the route, liaise with the Gardaí, marshal the peloton, provide catering at the stops, etc. – all of which makes for a great day for participants. Offers of assistance for 100 mile cycles will all be gratefully received, simply contact any member of the Committee.
In order to participate, collect your sponsorship cards from Christy McDaid or from Willow Park Junior School, Willow Park First Year and Blackrock College. registration details will be updated here closer to the date. You are welcome to do as much or as little of the full cycle as you wish.
The current 100 Mile Cycle course (may be subject to minor modifications) scheduled on Sunday 6th May 2019 is accessible as follows:
- Garmin Route Map: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/18022732
- Strava Route Map: https://www.strava.com/routes/12896601
- Google Maps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10l1sY3Jy1-oIpkY2kELlXFGTQGOSKOWK&usp=sharing
- Supporting .gpx file (Filename: COURSE_18022732_100m_v3.gpx) is available at the dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b5wtoctkri5elo/COURSE_18022732_100m_v3.gpx?dl=0.
A briefing presentation prepared by Lead Marshals Tom Potter and John Crowley for the 100 Mile Cycle and will be delivered to marshals and support drivers. The 2018 presentation is available at: WW 2018 100M Marshals and Drivers Briefing 240418 v3a.
The exact route varies over the years, but typically, the route and shape of the day (time are approximate) is as follows:
- 7:30am Mass in Blackrock College, followed by tea and biscuits in the teachers’ dining room
- 8:10am Submit registration form and sign-on (non-Cycling Ireland members pay fee of €5 16 & over or €2 under-16)
- 8:45am Departure from Blackrock College
- 9:30am Pheonix Park
- 11:15am Trim
- 1:30pm Kinnegad (Lunch) (80km) – Depart at 2:45pm
- 4:30pm Maynooth (joined by former club members)
- 18:30 Topaz Garage, near Rathfarnam Shopping Centre (joined by fifth form members)
- 19:30 Arrive back to Blackrock College (160km)
Those of you who participated in previous 100 Mile Cycles will note that the return leg is no longer through the city, in favour of a safer route through south County Dublin.